Join us in finding why reel mowers are better than other lawn mowers.
Reel mowers or manual cylinder mowers are the cheapest lawn mowers on the market, and ironically, give a better cut than most other types of mowers.
We advise you to get the best manual, electric or petrol cylinder mower for sale that will suit you and your garden.
The very first manual cylinder lawn mower was invented in 1830 by Edwin Beard Budding, and the design has changed very little since then.
Today these mowers are known by a myriad of names:
- Push mower
- Reel mower
- Hand mower
- Manual mower
- People-powered mower
- Walk behind mower
or any variation of these words.
Within this category of mower, there are 3 options.
Manual Cylinder Mower
Manual mowers are ideal for the small to medium sized garden, and with a little exercise, achieve the perfect looking lawn.
The power of this garden tool is – yourself!
So being reasonably physically fit is important, as well as having the time to get out into the garden regularly.
Petrol Cylinder Mowers
The principle of a petrol cylinder lawn mower is exactly the same as it’s manual counterpart – but the petrol engine provides a lot more power and continuous torque to the cutting cylinder than a manual operated mower.
This makes mowing your lawn much easier, less physically exerting, quicker and therefore more efficient.
The extra torque makes mowing taller grass much more effective and less strenuous.
Depending on your choice of petrol cylinder lawn mower, the starting mechanism will be either a crank or an electric starter. Some models have a throttle control which enables you to control the engine speed, while other models have a set speed that is not adjustable.
Benefits of a Petrol Engine
Petrol provides more power to the cylinder than an electric engine or you are capable of producing.
Petrol-engine lawn mowers have a greater range than electric-engine options, and there are no long cords to contend with.
Disadvantages of Petrol Lawn Mowers
The internal combustion of petrol engines emits fumes, and maintenance of the machine is required eg. changing the oil and replacement of spark plugs.
The most important features of the engine are its capacity and speed.
Low capacity engines: 101-150cc;
Mid-capacity engines: 151-200cc;
High-capacity engines: greater than 200cc.
This capacity determines how much torque the engine can generate for the mower’s cutting cylinder.
Electric Cylinder Lawn Mower
These mowers are perfect for a small to medium sized garden that has a convenient power supply.
They are ideal for a neat finish but are for a lawn that gets mowed regularly. Unlike the petrol model, it cannot manage longer grass as the torque is not as strong. A regularly mowed lawn is the answer for this machine.
A corded cylinder mower has a fair sized grass collection box, smaller than rotary mowers. This is ample for this type of mower as mowing often does not require a large box. Trimming is the order of the day.
The electric version is placed in the middle price range of these mowers. Not as cheap as manual models but not as expensive as petrol machines.
Find Out Why Reel Mowers Are Better
In the United Kingdom, the name used most commonly is ‘cylinder mower’ or ‘reel mower’.
This is an accurate description as the body of the machine is a cylinder shape. Within this cylinder are the rotating blades (reels) mounted between the wheels with the handle attached to the centre protruding upwards.
There are up to 5 blades housed in the cutting cylinder which cut with a scissor action creating a very clean, precise cut of the grass blades.
Now comes the real reason why reel mowers are better for your grass than any other mower:-
This clean-cut enables push reel mowers to keep your grass in good health, rotary mowers chop and tear with spinning horizontal blades.
Torn and shredded grass allow your lawn to be vulnerable to disease and insect attacks whereas grass that is cleanly cut cleanly and sharply with a reel mower tends to heal faster and is less vulnerable to attack by garden pests.
That is something you don’t want to experience!!
Cost is also a motivator – even a top of the range manual lawn mower will come in cheaper than the most basic alternative. This will be a hover mower when accounting for size and price.
Cylinder Lawn Mower: How to Use a Reel Mower
- This mower is an extremely safe option as the blades stop spinning the instant you stop pushing and the wheels stop moving.
- The reel mower is best suited to grass that is cut regularly as it does not cut long grass very well. In the growing months, you will need to mow your lawn at least twice or week.
- By trimming your lawn regularly you will not need to sweep and collect the clippings, they will be small in size and break down quickly in the soil. Lawn care experts agree that you should leave your clippings in your grass. They are a great, free fertiliser for your lawn providing beneficial nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium nutrients found in commercial fertilisers.
- Keeping the lawn free of debris is essential as small twigs and leaves will jam the cylinder immediately.
- The side-wheels of the lawn mower will not allow you to mow close to fences or walls and will fall off the lawn edge.
- It is best if your lawn has no bumps and hollows for pushing ease and good finished results.
- This mower has the advantage of no fuel, spark plugs or electric cords to deal with.
- They require very little maintenance. Cleaning, blade sharpening, and blade adjustment are the sum total.
- They are extremely easy to use and take very little storage space.
- Manual lawn mowers are the greenest option out of all the mowers on the market.
Cylinder Lawn Mower Reviews
Here comes another reason why reel mowers are better than any other mower.
The owner of a traditional manual mower will have the pleasure of good exercise, and the self-satisfaction of a job well done.
The smell of freshly cut grass on a warm, sunny day is hard to beat – especially if you are the generator of said aromas. Enjoy the fruits of your labour with a cold drink of your choice in a comfortable chair.
Cylinder Mowers For Sale
We have selected a variety of manual lawn mowers from Amazon for you.
Look through the below selection and get mowing at home!
Find the best cylinder mower for sale that suits your needs and get mowing.